Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

I Agree.

a group of people sitting at a desk


Support Available to You

By jhobson 18 Jan 2019

Moving to University can be an overwhelming experience – and the following years can sometimes be pretty stressful at times too. Here is just a brief guide to some of the ways that we are here to help you outside the lecture theatre.

Counselling and Wellbeing

Our Student Counselling Service offers a wide range of free and confidential services to any students who need them – including individual counselling, therapeutic group sessions, a well-stocked resource library and workshops covering issues such as exam stress. We encourage you to get in contact with us before you arrive so that we can make preparations in advance, however you can, of course, access the service at any time during your time at Leicester. You can come in and make an appointment in person in the Charles Wilson Building reception or book an appointment online.


t: +44 (0)116 223 1780

Residence Life Support

Our Residential Advisers (RAs) in your halls and the residential managers are specially trained in student support and signposting to university and community services that are best placed to help you. If you are unsure what to do or need a chat with a member of our team about a problem you are having, drop in to your site reception or get in touch with us:

Report & Support and

Are you worried about a friend, a flatmate, a course mate or just someone you see regularly? For instance, have you been noticing someone’s behaviour changing that is worrying you, or maybe you think someone needs support but you don’t know how to help them?

You are able to let us know about something that has happened to you or someone you know, either anonymously or by leaving your contact email, by answering the questions on the reporting system at or by emailing to report your concern and to receive support from our designated safeguarding officers.

Students' Union Advice Service

Whether it’s course-related, queries with accommodation or personal problems - the Students' Union can give you invaluable, confidential and impartial advice. What's more, it's free! Independent of the University, they will listen, consider your circumstances and advise you on the best route to take. 


t: +44 (0)116 223 1132


Nightline is a student-run listening, support and information service which is open 8pm-8am every night during term time. The specially trained volunteers are keen to offer students a safe space to talk about their thoughts, feelings or anything that's troubling them.

Call Nightline on: +44 (0)116 223 1230



Samaritans is a charity aimed at providing support to anyone in emotional distress, struggling to cope, or at risk of suicide throughout the United Kingdom. They offer a safe place for you to talk any time you like, in your own way – about whatever’s getting to you. You don’t have to be suicidal.

Call Samaritans for free 24/7 on: 116 123


Speak to Your GP

If you've noticed changes in the way you are thinking or feeling that concern you or cause you distress, you should consider going to see your GP. It can be daunting to speak to someone that you may not know well about your mental health, but most people find that speaking to their GP and the help and support they receive from them, can make all the difference.

You can contact your GP surgery directly to make an appointment. Most students at the University of Leicester will choose to register with Victoria Park Health Centre next to the university campus.

jhobson is a UOL Student and Marketing Co-ordinator for Accommodation and Residence Life. Get in touch by emailing or calling 0116 223 1493.
View All Posts

Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

I Agree.