Have you had your meningitis jab?
Before starting university you should make sure you've already had:
- The MenACWY vaccine which protects against serious infections like meningitis.
Children ages 13-15 (year 9-10) are routinely offered the MenACWY jab in school, however, if you missed this you are still able to get this vaccine from the GP until your 25th birthday before you come to university to study.
- 2 doses of the MMR vaccines which protect you from outbreaks of mumps and measles. If you have not previously had 2 doses of the MMR vaccine, you are able to get this from your GP.
Mumps and measles symptoms:
Nearly everyone who catches measles will have a high fever, a rash and will feel generally unwell. It usually starts off with cold-like symptoms that develop around 10 days after being infected then this will be followed by the measles rash.
People who have mumps will experience a fever, headache and painful/swollen glands in the face jaw and neck.
Meningitis: The facts
- Meningitis is an infection of the meninges - the membrane that surrounds the brain and spinal cord.
- Meningococcal bacteria are common and carried harmlessly in the nose or throat by about one in 10 people.
- They are passed on easily through close contact.
What are the symptoms?
- Fever, cold hands and feet
- Vomiting and diarrhoea
- Drowsiness, difficulty waking up
- Irritability and/or confusion
- Stiff neck
- Severe headache or muscle pains
- Pale, blotchy skin with or without a rash
- Dislike of bright lights
First-time students under 25 are eligible too so make an appointment and get protected!
For more information about Meningitis click here.
- Read Next
- Is it Freshers' Flu or Meningitis? Have you had your meningitis jab? Things to do in Leicester Exploring Leicester: Cinemas & Theatres Put a smile on someones face in lockdown Support Available to You How to | Get Around in Leicester Ways that you can help the environment The University Shuttle Bus - 2021/22 Passes Ways that you can help the environment (Part 2) About Your Hall: John Foster Francis Blog: My first day in halls How to | Personalise your living space
- About Your Hall: John Foster How to | Personalise your living space Keeping your bike safe at uni Have you had your meningitis jab? The essentials for your first food shop!