Time to get vaccinated!
Before starting university you should make sure you've already had:
- The MenACWY vaccine which protects against serious infections like meningitis.
Children ages 13-15 (year 9-10) are routinely offered the MenACWY jab in school, however, if you missed this you are still able to get this vaccine from the GP until your 25th birthday before you come to university to study.
- 2 doses of the MMR vaccines which protect you from outbreaks of mumps and measles.
If you have not previously had 2 doses of the MMR vaccine, you are able to get this from your GP.
Mumps and measles symtoms:
Nearly everyone who catches measles will have a high fever, a rash and will feel generally unwell. It usually starts off with cold-like symptoms that develop around 10 days after being infected then this will be followed by the measles rash.
People who have mumps will experience a fever, headache and painful/swollen glands in the face jaw and neck.
Meningitis: The facts
- Meningitis is an infection of the meninges - the membrane that surrounds the brain and spinal cord.
- Meningococcal bacteria are common and carried harmlessly in the nose or throat by about one in 10 people.
- They are passed on easily by through close contact.
What are the symptoms?
- Fever, cold hands and feet
- Vomiting and diarrhoea
- Drowsiness, difficult to wake up
- Irritability and/or confusion
- Stiff neck
- Severe headache or muscle pains
- Pale, blotchy skin with or without a rash
- Dislike of bright lights
First-time students under 25 are eligible too so make an appointment and get protected!
For more information about Meningitis click here.
- Read Next
- Mentally preparing yourself for university... The mental health reality of my first year What it's (realistically) like living in halls Starting university as an LGBTQ+ student Pre arrivals: All the uni supplies you NEED Let's be positive about male body image! 16 reasons why student life is the BEST life Feeling anxious about starting uni? What you need to know before arriving at uni Meningitis - Know the Facts Ashlea's Lockdown Diary: How to Find Happiness In Isolation Deals, discounts and offers galore My top 10 Netflix binge-worthy series
- Visitor Staying with you in Accommodation? Don't Get Locked Out!!! - How your room door works! Blackbullion - Money Advice Unibuddy - chat to current students about life at UWE Stay healthy over summer!