Meningitis - Know the Facts
It's time to start your new adventure, but there are a few important things you need to know before you arrive.
As a student you are in an at risk group in regards to catching meningitis, the MenACWY vaccine protects you against some types of meningitis and septicemia. . It's free to all students under 25, including international students , so make sure you book in with your GP to have this vaccination.
While you are at the GP, why not take the time to make sure that you are up to date on all your vaccinations.
Know the signs -
- High temperature or fever
- Feeling drowsy
- Confusion or disorientation
- Being violently sick
- Severe headache
- Neck stiffness (can't touch your chin to your chest)
- Joint or muscle pains
- Rapid deterioration of health
- Rash of tiny spots red/purple in colour, which may spread to look like bruising. In the majority of cases, the rash does not disappear when pressed firmly, a good way to check this is to press a glass against it.
- Read Next
- Make Your Mark A Resident Assistant's Top Tips for Moving In! Hey HallsLife Strapped for Cash? In need of a Job? The Students' Union Advice Centre Accommodation Show Flat Viewing Request Get the Cleaners in! Collecting your parcels Friday Funday - Every Friday at the SU HallsLife feedback - Win an Amazon Fire Tablet HallsLife International Food Evening
- Let's start getting ready for uni! Ella's top tips for first year! City Tour & Museum Trip Accommodation Customer Services Desk HallsLife Summer Facebook Group