Advice & Wellbeing
Meningitis - Know the Facts
It's time to start your new adventure, but there are a few important things you need to know before you arrive.
As a student you are in an at risk group in regards to catching meningitis, the MenACWY vaccine protects you against some types of meningitis and septicemia. . It's free to all students under 25, including international students , so make sure you book in with your GP to have this vaccination.
While you are at the GP, why not take the time to make sure that you are up to date on all your vaccinations.
Know the signs -
- High temperature or fever
- Feeling drowsy
- Confusion or disorientation
- Being violently sick
- Severe headache
- Neck stiffness (can't touch your chin to your chest)
- Joint or muscle pains
- Rapid deterioration of health
- Rash of tiny spots red/purple in colour, which may spread to look like bruising. In the majority of cases, the rash does not disappear when pressed firmly, a good way to check this is to press a glass against it.
- Read Next
- SPACED! Free Advice & Support on Drugs & Alcohol Not Feeling Tip Top? Here's Some Top Tips! UWE Wellbeing & Mental Health Support Need some extra support at UWE? Glenside & The Hollies - Local Area Guide Self-isolate like a pro! Wallscourt Park - Local Area Guide Glenside & The Hollies - post and parcels Student Village - Local Area Guide Student Village - post and parcels Wallscourt Park - post and parcels Glide - Can't Live Without Internet? Accommodation Customer Services Desk Cover 4 Students - insurance information The Student Accommdation Code
- Blackbullion - Money Advice Advice From a Graduate: Budgeting How to use social media to settle into freshers life MOB Kitchen - Back to Uni Cookbook How to choose your accommodation at UWE!