International Students: What to bring to uni
Now the excitement has started to kick in that you're going to university VERY soon, it's time to think about what to pack!
It can be tempting to bring everything you own, but you only need the essentials. To make your life a little easier, here is a list of all the main things you need to pack...
- Pack lightly - Uni rooms can be small with limited storage and so travel light if you can.
- Don't buy lots of expensive stuff - Most things that you use will just last for one year, so don't worry about spending a lot of money. You can buy most things once you arrive in the UK at inexpensive shops like Argos, Wilkos and Ikea.
- Check what the uni is providing - Double check what will be in your bedroom and kitchen once you arrive to save time and money.
Here are things you MUST remember:
- Documentation; your bank account details and cash card, ID such as your passport or driving licence
- Medication (you may be able to get this in the UK) and don't forget to register with a UK doctor
- Photos from home
- Travel adapter
Most other items can be bought once you arrive:
- Bedding (mattress protector, pillows, quilt, sheets)
- Warm clothes
- Sports kit
- Cleaning items
- Kitchen utensils
- Waterproof raincoat, this is Britain after all...
- Coffee, tea, mugs, food
There are also things that you CAN'T bring to uni:
- Rice cookers or chip fryers
- Candles, incense sticks, tea lights
- Smoking equipment, such as pipes and ashtrays
- Dartboards or weapons of any kind (real or replicas - please don't bring them)
Time to start packing!
- Read Next
- Pre arrivals: All the uni supplies you NEED Help! Who will I be living with at uni? Q&A sessions with your Students' Union Presidents How to decorate your uni room Save the student - Your moving in checklist 9 Things to do before you move to uni Quantock Post Room - revised hours An introvert's guide to making friends at uni! Meet the Team 14 Essential Apps for life at UWE Accommodation Customer Services Desk
- Blackbullion - Money Advice 18 unexpected things you need at uni Life in the UK vs. China How to use social media to settle into freshers life Breaking the ice with your new flatmates