14 Essential Apps for life at UWE
Moving to a new city is a big deal. So check out our 14 mobile apps that will make your move to Bristol a breeze....
View this post on Instagram
@bristolsqueezed are back this Friday! To celebrate, they have a limited number of burgers available through Wriggle 💙 (really, get on it, these will sell FAST!) . Head to our website or app now to buy a burger, fries and yard lemonade for just £9.99! 🍔 . #BristolFood #BristolBurger #Bristol247 #Bristolfoodies #Bristol_lens #BristolLive #BristolLife #bristoluk #foodinbristol
This handy little app gives you access to loads of food and drinks offers in many of Bristol's much-loved independent restaurants and bars. We all know it's essential to save a few pennies when you're a student, but that shouldn't mean missing out on Bristol's amazing food scene
You are probably going to need to get a cab at some point during your first year, the quickest and easiest way to do that in Bristol is through UBER. Never get stuck waiting for a taxi again.
One of the easiest and greenest ways to get around is by bike. One of the first thing you may notice about Bristol is these iconic yellow bikes, Bristol's answer to Boris Bikes! You can rent one for as little as a £1:00 on the Y0-Bike app.
This is the ultimate app, for finding out all the gigs, club nights and events going on around Bristol. The website is run a by a former promoter who puts an emphasis on the independent music and new talent that makes Bristol special.
Check out the latest events, advice on all things student life, best deals on and around campus and campus news and updates.
The UWE mobile app gives you access to ...
- Blackboard – Easy access to your personal course information.
- Timetable – Easy access to your personal timetable.
- Email – Easy access to your UWE Bristol email.
- Library – Search for books and journals in the library.
- Campus maps – Use the maps to find your way around campus.
- Student information and services – Easy access to Information Points, health and wellbeing support, Info Hub, IT help and many other student services.
- Staff directory – Find staff contact details.
- News and events – Read all the latest student news announcements and view student events.
- myUWE announcements – keep up to date with important university announcements.
© Photo by Georgia de Lotz on Unsplash
We all suffer from a bit of anxiety from time to time, if you don't, you're very lucky! The SAM app is designed to help you understand and manage anxiety. The app has been developed in collaboration with a research team from UWE, Bristol.
SAM will help you to understand what causes your anxiety, monitor your anxious thoughts and behavior over time and manage your anxiety through self-help exercises and private reflection.
Essential if you are navigating your way around Bristol by bus. It's easy to use with online tickets and an online bus tracker, so you know exactly when your bus is due to arrive. Make sure you don't forget use your student discount.
© Photo by Martyna Bober on Unsplash
One great thing about moving to Bristol is that you are never too far away from parks and green space. This app has a GPS feature which will show you all the parks and green spaces near to you.
© Photo by Eric Ward on Unsplash
As you probably know Bristol is the UK's Graffiti capital. So maybe you've got a free afternoon or a bit of time to spare, download the Bristol Banksy Tour App and get exploring.
© Erik Mclean on Unsplash
This app has got deals galore everything from fashion o health and fitness to tech. Download this app to keep up to date with all the latest student deals.
© Photo by Atikh Bana on Unsplash
So this might not been an app that's unique to living in Bristol, but if you want to look fab at low prices and make a little money while you're at uni - this is the app for you. This buy and sell platform is similar to e-bay but with twice the style.
© Photo by Ketut Subiyanto from Pexels
Introducing ..... 'Magic Bags!' These bags full of goodies and surplus food from local restaurants, shops & cafes.
The food they sell would usually be thrown away at the end of the day, but is perfectly safe to eat, not to mention a delicious surprise (you don't know what you're getting).
Download the app, support the food waste revolution and bag yourself a tasty treat, at the same time.
Did we mention that UWE's very own Crussh and Onezone regularly sell magic bags.
These are both more practical apps. Learning to budget and keep on top of your finances is one of the things you have to learn, pretty quick at uni, but both these cards make it a lot easier.
Both these apps are linked to a cash card, but they instantaneously update your balance so you know exactly what you're spending. They have handy features like salary sorter so you never miss bills, split the bill, so you can easily split a bill with your mates, free currency converters and features to help you save like rounding up each purchase and putting it in a separate account.
- Read Next
- Essential Mobile Apps for UWE Students Funzing Talks - Bristol 9 Things to do before you move to uni Friday Funday - CANCELLED Get money smart at UWE Save the student - Your moving in checklist Help! Who will I be living with at uni? Q&A sessions with your Students' Union Presidents Blackbullion - Money Advice
- Blackbullion - Money Advice 18 unexpected things you need at uni Life in the UK vs. China How to use social media to settle into freshers life Breaking the ice with your new flatmates