You might think that having a job whilst studying at Sheffield Hallam would be horrible but trust us, it's very beneficial for your future and your bank balance.
Not everyone wants to work whilst they are studying, but it's something that you should consider, especially before your account goes to negatives...
Besides the money, there are some other great reasons to get a job at university:
- Time management: With all this responsibility comes great time management skills, which will benefit you in all aspects of life - whether it's for your lectures, a job after uni, or your social life.
- Responsibility: Managing your studies, a job, your social life, your finances, making sure you get to work on time, and doing your job right means a lot of responsibility. It may seem like too much, but you'll have your life on track before you know it and if not, speak to someone about it.
- Skills: You're going to be learning a lot of new skills, even if it isn't exactly what you want to do once you graduate. Serving people or even cleaning will give you valuable skills and experience for the 'real' world!
- Friends: Getting a job means you'll get to meet new people you may have never met unless you were working there. Plus, you can never have too many friends, right?
- Get ahead: As you probably know, employers don't just want someone that has a degree anymore, you need something extra to make you stand out. They want you to have experience and to see what you can bring to the table that someone else can't - your ability to work whilst balancing university could be just that!
"Ok, so I understand that getting a job at university is a good idea but what sort of jobs can I do?"
Well, obviously not all jobs are practical. You'll struggle to maintain a 9-5 job and attend your lectures and find time for your assignments, but lots of jobs are perfect for a student:
- Campus Jobs
- Dog Walker
- Student Ambassador
- Internships and volunteering (not paid but good experience)
- Retail assistant
- Mystery shopping
- Paid focus groups/testing
- Freelance blogging/vlogging