#InternationalStudents: What to bring to uni
Now the excitement has started to kick in that you'll be going to Sheffield soon, it's time to think about what to bring with you in the move!
It can be tempting to bring everything, but you do only need the essentials. So to make your life a little easier, we've got the best tips and a list of all the essentials you'll need...
Pack lightly - Uni rooms can be small with limited storage and you'll be moving out in June so try to travel light.
Don't splash out on expensive stuff - Most things won't survive your first year, so save money. You can get perfectly decent cheap items from the likes of Argos, Wilko and Ikea.
Check what the uni is providing - Before you go and buy loads of things double check what will be in your bedroom and kitchen.
Here are things you MUST remember:
- Medication (you could get this in the UK) - don't forget to register with a UK doctor too.
- Photos from home
- Travel adapter
Most other items can be bought once you arrive:
- Bedding (mattress protector, pillows, quilt, sheets)
- Warm clothes
- Sports kit
- Cleaning items
- Kitchen utensils
- Waterproof raincoat, this is Britain after all...
- Coffee, tea, mugs, food
There are also things that you CAN'T bring to uni:
- Rice cookers or chip fryers
- Candles, incense sticks, tea lights
- Smoking equipment, such as pipes and ashtrays
- Dartboards or weapons of any kind (real or replicas - don't bring them)
- Read Next
- All the uni supplies you NEED What's Browzer? The ULTIMATE guide to British food Meet a local family - join Host! Takeaways can save lives! UniKitOut: Get 10% off all orders! How I funded my summer... 16 reasons why student life is the BEST life International Students - we'll help you settle into life at SHU!
- The Trigon - 5 minutes to 5 great places Coach Academy - Work Experience Opportunities Free Microsoft Office for SHU students! What's Browzer? Browzer Tips - How to Design for print