COVID-19 and volunteering: how can you help?
Helping those suffering from COVID-19
During this time, we aim to keep you up to date with the best ways that you can support your community. If you have any suggestions, or if you are a local charity looking to recruit volunteers please reach out to us at Volunteering@shu.ac.uk
We're in the process of collating ways in which you can support your community; we are currently talking to community partners, so this is by no means a comprehensive list, but a few ways in which you can support at the moment.
- Acorn Coronavirus Community Support
- Covid -19 Mutual aid groups are being set up around the country, join your local group, or set one up here
- You can sign up to the British Red Cross’ community reserve volunteers scheme
You can support Foodhall; a volunteer-powered community food hub based in the heart of Sheffield, it’s their priority to ensure that everybody can have access to food.
- NHS Volunteers - The NHS are looking for volunteers to help out with Community Response, Paient Transport, NHS Transport and Check - in and Chat roles. For more info on the roles visit this NHS Website. ( This role is full at the moment.)
- Send out cards to you neighbours who might need some support, here's a template you can use:
In the meantime, following instructions from public health agencies, being kind and empathising with those that are finding it difficult at this time are some of the best things that you can do to help your community.
Staying safe when supporting others
It’s important to stay safe when supporting others. Use the following instructions created by NCVO:
- Let family and friends know what you are doing and where you are going
- Support family, friends and neighbours by phone or video call
- Stay at least two metres or about three steps away from people you’re helping
- Offer to run errands for people but stay outside of people’s homes
- Keep washing your hands, often, for 20 seconds
- Don’t take on too much as it’s often better not to offer at all than to let someone down
- If you’re trying to help someone with very serious issues, then don’t be afraid to flag with appropriate statutory services
The Volunteering team are currently working remotely; if you have any questions or would like any more information about getting involved please don’t hesitate to contact us at: Volunteering@shu.ac.uk.
- Read Next
- Sheffield Hallam Corona Community COVID19 and Volunteering Corona Virus: Tips and Advice Corona Virus: Advice for Students You asked. We listened. Book a classroom now! Self-Isolation Guidance and Support for Students Love SHU Card! A risk-free way to book your 20/21- The Trigon and Brittain Street Conversation Club is now ONLINE!
- Corona Virus: Tips and Advice Be Part of Team Trigon! Corona Virus: Advice for Students The Trigon - 5 minutes to 5 great places Coach Academy - Work Experience Opportunities