Breaking News - Fake Accommodation Emails
Fake Accommodation Emails
We have recently been made aware of reports that some students have received a bogus email claiming to be from Sheffield Hallam University Accommodation Services with regards to an alteration to the proposed contract start date/move in schedule for halls of residence.
The perpetrators are allegedly using a gmail account to contact students via email but have included shu.ac.uk in the address in order to make the communication appear as genuine at first glance.
The fake email encourages students to arrive well in advance of the scheduled contract start date and may offer the recipient complimentary tickets to one or more Freshers' events.
Please note that Accommodation Services have not sent any emails of this nature and would only use a verified email address ending in @shu.ac.uk to contact students.
What do I do?
If you receive any correspondence of this kind:
- Do NOT click any links in the email
- DO NOT reply to the email, provide or confirm any personal or financial details
- Do NOT download any software or open any attachments
- Report the email to Accommodation Services
If you have any concerns, please contact Accommodation Services directly via email or on 0114 2255555.
- Read Next
- LIV Student - New for 2019! Take a look around The Elements! Make your halls a home It's time to LOVE where you LIVe at LIV Student! How to get on with your flatmates... Applied for halls, what next? What's it like living at The Pinnacles? The Elements - New for 2018! Welcome to SHU Halls - Get Connected! Takeaways can save lives! Welcome Weekend & Check in What it's (realistically) like living in halls 5 things to do before you get to SHU!
- SHU Jobs: Student Accommodation Assistant Arrivals Weekend: Keys & Car Parking All the uni supplies you NEED 11 ways to make halls feel like home Sheffield Freshers' Nights Out