Want to work while you are a student? Here is how to get a National Insurance Number...
Why do I need a National Insurance number?
You pay National Insurance contributions to qualify for certain benefits and the State Pension.
You pay National Insurance if you’re 16 or over and either:
•an employee earning above £166 a week
•self-employed and making a profit of £6,365 or more a year
Even if you earn under this amount per week, it is important to have an NI number; without it, you may be charged at a higher tax rate for any weeks where you work full-time, eg in a vacation period.
You have one National Insurance number for life; no need to reapply when you change job.
How to get a National Insurance number
- Employers will ask you for your National Insurance Number.
- If you are from outwith the UK and you want to work part time during your studies, you can apply using the steps below.
- You must have a UK address to apply.
- You need to first of all apply by PHONE.
Call the Job-Centre Plus - National Insurance number allocation service
Telephone: 0800 141 2075 Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
- Jobcentre Plus may write to you and ask you to come to an interview where you’ll be asked about your circumstances and why you need a National Insurance number. The interview will usually be one-to-one (unless, for example, you need an interpreter). The interviewer will ask you questions about your background and circumstances. The interviewer may also ask you to fill in an application form. The letter will also tell you which documents to bring to prove your identity, eg:
- passport/identity card
- residence permit card (if you have it), Note; some
- birth/adoption certificate
- driving licence
- Proof of address (The Student Help Point-RGU can produce a proof of address letter for you).
- The job centre in Aberdeen is at: Ebury House, 14 Dee St, Aberdeen AB11 6DR
You should be told at the interview how long it’ll take to receive your National Insurance number.
More information: www.gov.uk/nationalinsurance
- Read Next
- RGU Employability Hub : Student Job Opportunities and Advice Top 10 things to do in Aberdeen 16 reasons why student life is the BEST life Have you checked your house contract? THE private accommodation checklist Have you sorted your bills for next year? Coping with Covid : Looking after your Mental Health Want to feel great and save some cash? Go veggie! Is your phone hindering your happiness? RGU Clubs and Societies and Things to Do in Garthdee Fitness fads to avoid Self-isolation: A student guide What's Browzer? Self-isolation: The best of Netflix Bloggers & Vloggers Wanted!
- Exploring Scotland : The Virtual Experience Food and Delivery Services in Aberdeen Want to work while you are a student? Here is how to get a National Insurance Number... Your responsibilities vs. your landlords Self-isolation: Top video games