What's on in Edinburgh this August?
Add this event to your calendar
Well it is officially festival season in Edinburgh and lots going on! Here is a quick guide to help you choose what to do and see…
Festivals and Events
- Edinburgh Foodies Festival
2nd - 4th August
Head to Inverleith Park to enjoy all things food and drink. The festival will celebrate and promote Scotland’s natural larder of quality produce to both locals and visitors.
- Edinburgh Military Tattoo
2nd - 24th August
Taking place on the esplanade of Edinburgh’s iconic castle, expect an unforgettable evening of music, ceremony, theatre and dance.
- Edinburgh Festival Fringe
2nd - 26th August
The greatest show on earth with over 3,000 events. WTFringe!?
- Edinburgh Art Festival
All month until 25th August
The UK’s largest annual festival of visual art, which brings together the capital’s leading galleries, museums and artist-run spaces, alongside new public art commissions by established and emerging artists and an innovative programme of special events.
- Edinburgh International Festival
2nd - 26th August
A celebrated arts festival, hosting three jam-packed weeks full of theatre, classical music, opera, dance and art.
- Edinburgh International Book Festival
10th - 26th August
Bringing readers and writers together, from every age and interest, for inspiration, entertainment and discussion.
Music, Theatre and Comedy
- Edinburgh Summer Sessions
7th– 18th August
A series of gigs in Edinburgh this Summer including: Florence + the machine, the Courteeners, Primal Scream, Chvrches, Lewis Capaldi, James and Madness.
- Forth on the Fringe
9th - 10th August
Boogie and Arlene will be there to host all three shows.. so what are you waiting for? Come along and join them for what promises to be the 'must see' shows of this year's Edinburgh Festival!
- Luna Open-Air Cinema
30th August - 1st September
You are invited to come and enjoy three nights of open air cinema under the stars in this uniquely diverse setting.
- Virgin Money Fireworks Concert
The biggest finish to Edinburgh’s summer festival season. Closing the month with a celebration of dance music and a sparkling visual extravaganza!
Markets and Fairs
- Fair and Ethical Trade on the Fringe
12th - 18th August
With stalls selling ethical gifts, fair trade gifts and locally sourced gifts, this event offers shoppers a compliment and unique offering during this incredibly busy Edinburgh festival time.
- Edinburgh Farmers Market
Every Saturday in August
Situated on Castle Terrace, it's a great spot for some Saturday strolling.
- Stockbridge Market
Every Sunday in August
If you're looking to stock up for a cosy Sunday dinner, Stockbridge market will definitely have something for all.
Enjoy your August!
- Read Next
- Your guide to Edinburgh Fringe 2019 Fancy chocolate for breakfast, lunch or dinner? YOUR guide to Edinburgh's food and drink hot spots Student Shopping Guide to Musselburgh Getting Around Edinburgh Your personal guide to Edinburgh Things only Edinburgh locals will know... 10 completely free things to do in Edinburgh Doing the Edinburgh Fringe on a budget Stina's Blog: What is happening this Hogmanay? Find us on Facebook! Paulina's Blog: Bolognese Sauce Recipe
- Just Eat Bikes at QMU This week's menu in 1875! Your Freshers 2019 Guide District Heating Repairs: SSUB Hot Water and Car Parking ALL the information you need for moving into QMU halls this September