Make Your Own Bread
If the breads not on the shelves don't panic. We've got you covered with some easy at home recipes.
The distinctive cracked (striped) crust with the fluffy centre, plus its easy-peasy to make.
- 500g strong white bread flour, plus extra for kneading
- 7g sachet fast action yeast
- 1½ tsp caster sugar
- 1½ tsp fine sea salt
- 300-350ml warm water
- vegetable oil, for the bowl
For the topping
- 90g rice flour
- ½ x 7g sachet fast action yeast
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp golden caster sugar
- ½ tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 90ml warm water
Tip the flour into a large mixing bowl. Stir through the yeast, sugar and salt. Make a well in the middle and gradually pour in the water. Swiftly mix together, then turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead the bread for 8-10 mins or until smooth and elastic. Lightly oil a large mixing bowl, then put the dough in the bowl, cover and leave in a warm place for 1 hr or until doubled in size.
Once the dough has risen, tip it onto a worktop and knead it three times. Shape the dough into an oval as best you can. Lightly flour a baking sheet and sit the loaf on it. Cover loosely with lightly oiled cling film and leave for a further 45 mins-1 hr or until doubled in size again.
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Whisk together all of the topping ingredients in a small bowl until you get a spreadable paste, adding more water and/or flour if necessary, then set aside to rest for 5 mins. Gently spread the mixture over the loaf with a palette knife. Place the baking sheet in the centre of the oven and bake for 35 mins. Once cooked, the loaf should sound hollow when the base is tapped and should feel light for its size. Leave to cool completely before cutting into slices.
*Recipe courtesy of BBC Good Food.
Once you have the bread basics, get creative with adding your favourite things-cheese, chillies, thyme...chocolate?
Fancy something a little sweeter?
Try out Olivias Vegan Banana Bread (it's got bread in the name, it counts!)
Why not have a virtual 'ready steady cook' with your friends? Just set up a group call and getting cooking.
- Read Next
- Snowflake Biscuits Recipe Very Simple Margherita Pizza Recipe Fatayer Recipe Unbelievably Easy Mince Pies Recipe Gin & Tonic Drizzle Cake Recipe Tea-soaked Sultana & Cinnamon Swirl Recipe Crunchy Granola Recipe Sweet Potato, Mango & Black Bean Quinoa Recipe Salsa Verde Recipe Easy Peasy Omelette Recipe Squash, Chilli & Black Bean Soft Taco Recipe Coriander & Lime Chicken Recipe Vegetable Broth with Salsa Verde Recipe Fennel & Apple Slaw Recipe
- Upright bike Tyler's Blog: Make yourself visible: Create an ePortfolio Sustainable Easter Crafts Nutrient File: Iron Maja's Blog: Asexuality