Fun food facts to pick up your day!
For all you foodies out there, have you heard these facts before?!
- An 11-year-old invented the popsicle in 1905 by accident after leaving a fruit-flavoured soda outside on a cold night.
- Created by Nathaniël Gomes in 2003, the fast food dish Kapsalon is named after the Dutch for ‘hair salon’. It is French fries topped with shawarma meat, melted Gouda cheese, lettuce, garlic sauce and sambal.
- There are 7,500 varieties of apples in the world, and if you tried a new kind every day, it would take 20 years to try them all.
- Fruit bat soup is a popular dish served in the Pacific Rim and Asia. Although it is high in protein the dish can also contain toxins such as cyanide due to a bats diet.
- An area larger than China is used to grow food that is never eaten.
- Prior to the 1960s not many people ate chicken wings. It was only after buffalo wings were invented in 1964 that people started to eat chicken wings. It was previously considered the worst parts of a chicken and mostly used in stock for soup or discarded.
- Read Next
- 5 things worth knowing about coffee! Things only Edinburgh locals will know... Robert's Blog: Student Friendly Food Places The essentials for your first food shop! Eat, Drink and Play at QMU The ULTIMATE guide to British food Paulina's Blog: Chicken Thai Green Curry Paulina's Blog: Breakfast Chickpeas Your personal guide to Edinburgh Hacks to help you boss Welcome Week Stina's Blog: How to keep sane during exam season Tyler's Blog: A trip to the Highlands George's Blog: British Freshers explained Tyler's Blog: Three mainland Europe destinations to visit Stay healthy at uni
- Staff changes in the Sports Centre Accommodation - Helpful Information Your Maggie's Menu New online booking system for fitness classes! Update your myQMU app