Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

I Agree.

Accommodation

Fire Safety in Halls

By sophiebk 10 Apr 2019

Did you know, those living in rented or shared accommodation are seven times more likely to have a fire? 

Everyday fire risks are present in our homes. Well-known risks include candles and cooking left unattended, covered electrical heaters, overloaded plugs, and cigarettes. In halls we have rules and regulations in place to reduce the risk of fires, for example we only allow battery powered fairy lights and candles and cigarettes are strictly prohibited. Despite this, it is still important that you are vigilant in your homes in halls.

To ensure your own safety:

  • Let a member of staff know immediately if you think there is an issue with your fire alarm
  • Never cover up or tamper with smoke or heat detectors. Smoke alarms save lives - you are at least 8 times more likely to die in a fire without working smoke alarms (fireangel.co.uk).
  • More than half of all fires are started in the kitchen (cheshirefire.gov.uk), so it is vital that appropriate care is taken when cooking. Most importantly, never leave cooking unattended! Click here for more advice on how to stay safe when cooking.
  • Don’t overload plug sockets and adaptors!
    Take particular caution with high powered items like kettles, heaters and irons to ensure they will not exceed the maximum current rating stated – you can check if you’re overloading with the Socket Overload Calculator here! Also, remember that we don’t allow cube extension plugs in halls.
  • Take fire alarm tests seriously and don’t ignore practises. Make sure you have thought through what you would do if there was a fire
  • If you are planning to move in to non-university owned rented accommodation next year, make sure you follow these simple steps for life in your new home.