If you are self-isolating in University Halls, we appreciate this may be a stressful time. Please see the below information to clarify what is required of you and what help is available.
If you are self-isolating, you should not:
- Leave your student accommodation for 10 days from when your symptoms started or you tested positive - you can only leave for urgent medical assistance or to take a COVID 19 test
- Have any visitors, unless providing essential care
- Go outside to buy food or other essentials or exercise
- Use public transport or taxis
Once you are self-isolating:
- You should inform the University via the student intranet as soon as you are self-isolating.
- Please also inform your Hall Reception of when you are self-isolating and why using the subject line ‘self-isolation’. Their contact details are here. They will then provide exact guidance and ensure that you are supported in terms of your well-being, food, medical supplies and washing/cleaning arrangements etc.
Using services while in self-isolation
Deliveries and mail:
You will not be able to visit the Hall Reception to collect mail or deliveries during your period of self-isolation. During this time we ask that you limit all deliveries to essential items only such as food or medicines. The Hall team will then arrange to get essential food deliveries to you in your flat.
Cleaning will not be provided if you enter a period of self-isolation as a result of developing symptoms of COVID-19, or being asked to self-isolate after being in contact with someone displaying symptoms/who has tested positive. In this instance the Halls team will provide you with a cleaning pack and advice on appropriate cleaning of your kitchen during this time.
Visitors, households, and socialising in Halls:
Visitors are not permitted in Halls. This applies not only when you are in your period of self-isolation, but also when you finish self-isolating.
Your flat is your household and you can socialise together without social distancing measures, but you must not invite other members of the Hall into your flat. Mixing between households in Halls is not permitted. In line with the above, large gatherings and parties are not permitted.
During your time isolating, you will not be able to access the laundry. Should you require to wash your clothes, we can provide laundry detergent for your to hand wash your clothes in your room. If you would like a laundry pack, please email your Hall Reception Team.
Food Delivery Service:
During your time self-isolating, we have some food boxes available for you. Each box consists of store cupboard essentials to make sure you have access to the basics whilst you are unable to leave your accommodation.
It is recommended that wherever possible, you arrange for food and shopping to be delivered to your flat by your friends or flatmates. If you want to have food delivered, you are not able to leave your flat to collect. Instead, you will need to arrange for a friend to collect on your behalf or contact your Hall Reception who will be able to assist with getting essential deliveries like grocery deliveries to you. Please note, capacity for the Hall team to assist with deliveries is reduced after 5.30pm. We therefore ask that you avoid deliveries that arrive after 5:30pm if you can, or where necessary, that these are collected by your nominated friend. Please note, the Halls team will not normally be able to assist with takeaway deliveries to flats.
Support Available whilst Self-Isolating
Your wellbeing during this time is our top priority, and we want to make your time in isolation as comfortable as possible.
- We will contact you with exact guidance and ensure that you are supported in terms of your well-being, food, medical supplies and washing/cleaning arrangements etc.
- Your Hall Team are available 24/7, and are available to assist with any queries or requests you have. You can contact your Halls Team here.
- Residential Advisers are on Duty Overnight, and contactable for any pastoral concerns you may have. The Duty Phone number can be found here. Your Residential Adviser will be in contact with you either via phone or via Teams/Zoom to check in and see how you are doing.
- If you have registered for a Halls Life Activity Pack and needs to self-isolate we can be arranged for this to be delivered to your flat, please just email your Hall Reception and let them know what date you have a pack for and they will arrange this for you.
- The Student Advice and Guidance Team have a range of support options available to you, from Counselling Sessions, to Money Advice. You can see what they have to offer here.