International Students: What to bring to uni
Now the excitement has started to kick in that you're going to university VERY soon, it's time to think about what to pack!
It can be tempting to bring everything you own, but you only need the essentials. To make your life a little easier, here is a list of all the main things you need to pack...
- Pack lightly - Uni rooms can be small with limited storage and so travel light if you can.
- Don't buy lots of expensive stuff - Most things that you use will just last for one year, so don't worry about spending a lot of money. You can buy most things once you arrive in the UK at inexpensive shops like Argos, Wilkos and Ikea.
- Check what the uni is providing - Double check what will be in your bedroom and kitchen once you arrive to save time and money.
Here are things you MUST remember:
- Medication (you may be able to get this in the UK) and don't forget to register with a UK doctor
- Photos from home
- Travel adapter
Most other items can be bought once you arrive:
- Bedding (mattress protector, pillows, quilt, sheets)
- Warm clothes
- Sports kit
- Cleaning items
- Kitchen utensils
- Waterproof raincoat, this is Britain after all...
- Coffee, tea, mugs, food
There are also things that you CAN'T bring to uni:
- Rice cookers or chip fryers
- Candles, incense sticks, tea lights
- Smoking equipment, such as pipes and ashtrays
- Dartboards or weapons of any kind (real or replicas - please don't bring them)
Time to start packing!
- Read Next
- 18 unexpected things you need at uni Breaking the ice with your new flatmates What it's (realistically) like living in halls Pre arrivals: All the uni supplies you NEED THE private accommodation checklist 11 ways to make halls feel like home What you need to know before arriving at uni Have you sorted your bills for next year? How to make your second year house safe Mentally preparing yourself for university... THE apps for moving to a new city Life in the UK vs. China The essentials for your first food shop! What's Browzer? An introvert's guide to making friends at uni!
- Drop and Go information 18 unexpected things you need at uni Life in the UK vs. China Breaking the ice with your new flatmates Self-Isolation and Quarantine