I volunteer because...
Student Volunteer Week is here!
Now is a perfect time (and opportunity) to celebrate and promote the volunteering efforts of students from across the UK.
Anyone has the potential to be a volunteer, and no matter how much time and effort you can afford to put in, you will find something to fit your lifestyle. You'll also be helping people who really need it!
Are you asking yourself why should I become a volunteer? There are LOTS of benefits to you and others:
- Because it's the right thing to do: By becoming a volunteer you're making a huge difference. Every person contributes to valuable community service time and allowing more money to be spent on essential resources.
- It helps me: Volunteering looks great on your CV. Leadership, teamwork, working under pressure - these skills can increase job prospects. And, if you do a good enough job you might get a decent reference!
- It keeps me healthy and happy: Volunteering helps reduce stress while improving mood and emotion and strengthening our immune systems.
- I can go where the wind takes me: If you're an aspiring traveller, why not look for opportunities in a different country? Wildlife Volunteering in South Africa? Teaching English in Morocco? You'll help the population and environment while experiencing new cultures.
- Volunteering strengthens OUR communities too: By helping in the local area you could support families/young people and also helping improve schools as well as making it a nicer place to live! Each of these will lead to a happier and stronger community.
- My journey of self-discovery
Without sounding too cliché, volunteering is like being at uni as it helps you discover yourself. You can test your career plans as you learn what you enjoy. It might even spark interest in those jobs you're currently doing half-heartedly - gardening, cleaning, cooking etc.
Make change happen
There are literally hundreds of ways for you to get involved and in so many different areas. Don't forget even the smallest of actions will count! Check with your university for any volunteering opportunities going on in your area this week.
Find out more about Student Volunteer Week and how you can get involved!
- Read Next
- I volunteer because... Bloggers & Vloggers Wanted! Volunteering at University 16 reasons why student life is the BEST life 16 reasons why student life is the BEST life Unique Valentines date ideas Unique Valentines date ideas How to make your loan go the extra mile How to make your loan go the extra mile Rosie's Blog: How I manage my mental health Rosie's Blog: How I manage my mental health Should you get a job at uni?
- Come food shopping with me... Get your deposit protected! Why Should You Stay in Halls? Make Your Room Your Home Things to do in Leicester