How to...Use your household appliances
Here's everything you need to know about the household appliances we provide in your accommodation.
The student essential...
- Always check cooking instructions
- Loosely cover food over to avoid spills
- Once you have placed the food in the microwave, set the power dial and timer dial to the cooking instructions
- When the timer is done, check the food is piping hot and carefully remove from the microwave
- Do not put any metal or foil in the microwave. It will break!
You can find the user manuals for your microwave below:
- Each ring matches to a temperature dial at the side of the hob
- Place your pan on a ring and turn the appropriate dial to start cooking
- Turn on the extractor fan whilst cooking to stop cooking smells lingering. This can be done using a simple on/off switch
- Make sure you always turn off the ring once you are finished cooking
- Never leave tea towels or other flammable items near a hot ring
- In comparison to a gas hob, an electric hob takes longer to heat up and cool down
- Turn the grill on, open the door and wait for it to heat up
- Make sure the grill pan is clean to use, as leftover food could catch fire
- It's a good idea to line the pan with foil as this will make cleaning a lot easier
- After a few minutes, place your food on the grill pan and put it under the heat
- Never close the grill door whilst cooking
- Once you have finished cooking, remove the grill pan and only place it back into the grill once the grill has cooled down. If you put it back when it's hot, the handle will melt.
- Arrange the oven shelves how you want (never do this when the oven is hot)
- Make sure the oven is on at the wall, then turn the temperature dial to the heat you need
- The oven may take a while to heat up to the right temperature, there may be a coloured light which will change once it reaches the correct temperature
- Follow the instructions on your food packaging and place the food in the oven, being sure to shut the door
- Once your food is cooked, use oven gloves to remove it from the oven and remember to turn off the oven using the temperature dial and the wall switch
The user manual for your electric oven can be found below:
- Pull the lid up and fill the kettle using cold water from the tap. There is often a minimum and maximum water level as a guide
- Once the kettle is back on the base press down the switch
- Once the kettle is boiled, there's no need to turn it off and the water is ready to use
You can find the user manual for your kettle below:
- Regularly wipe the fridge shelves clean using warm water and washing up liquid with a cloth
- Keep meat on the bottom shelf
- Get rid of out of date food regularly
- Watch the video below for top tips on keeping your fridge happy
- You can find the user manuals for your fridge below:
- Make sure you unravel all of the power cable before using the vacuum cleaner
- Use a plug socket that is near to the area you want to clean, make sure no one will trip over the wire
- Turn on the plug socket, then the on/off switch on the vacumm cleaner. When you are finished turn the vacuum cleaner off first, then the plug socket.
- Wind the wire back up and store the vacuum cleaner safely
- Do not use the vacuum cleaner to clean up any liquid spills, it will break.
- Always use an iron on an ironing board
- Before using the iron, fill with the appropriate amount of water
- Plug in the iron and use the heat dial to selct the temperature
- Once you are finished, unplug the iron and empty the water into the sink
- Leave the iron to cool down in a safe place, making sure to keep it upright
- Any dirt can be removed with a damp cloth when the iron has fully cooled down
You can find the user manual for your iron below
- Check items are dishwasher safe before loading them into the dishwasher
- Make sure there is no left over food on the items
- Use the bottom rack for pots, pans, plates etc.
- Use the top rack for glasses and mugs
- Read Next
- Your guide to doing laundry How to...make you way around Leicester TV licensing- everything you need to know Meet the Team - Oadby Student Village! How to... Keep your halls clean
- Join Your Hall Facebook Group! The Oadby Shuttle Bus - 2019/20 Passes Meet the Team - City Living! Make Your Room Your Home Support Available to You