British holidays you NEED to know about
Is this your first Christmas in the UK?
Let us help you by telling you about all the holidays that are coming up.
Chuck didn't know much about Christmas holidays in the UK but we want to give you all that information so that you are prepared and can make plans for those days. Make a note of the following:
1. Christmas Eve (24th December)
All shops and supermarkets will open but they are likely to be very busy with people buying last minute gifts. Shops will close earlier than usual but you can check opening times online before going out to the shops.
2. Christmas Day (25th December)
The majority of shops will be closed and as Chuck said, if you go into the city centre, it will like very quiet and nothing will be happening. You can prepare for this by buying food beforehand or maybe ordering food online, but most restaurants will be closed. A lot of public transport won't be running.
3. Boxing Day (26th December)
Similar to Christmas Eve, shops may have shorter opening hours but you will be able to easily access supermarkets, shops and restaurants. Boxing Day in the UK is known for sales and discounts so shops may be quite busy. Most trains won't be running.
4. New Year's Eve (31st December)
Happy New Year! This is a huge night in the UK and people go out to celebrate or throw parties so, at midnight, you'll hear lots of fireworks. Opening hours will be similar to Boxing Day on New Year's Eve so don't go out shopping too late.
5. New Year's Day (1st January)
New Year's Day is similar to Christmas Day and will be very quiet but shops, supermarkets and restaurants are open. They will have different opening hours to usual but you can check them online before you go out.
Before you make any plans or travel on these days, check that you're able to do so. Train/bus services will vary but taxis are still available - they may just take slightly longer than usual. All of this information is available online so if you want to go to places like Wagamama, Tesco or Topshop, go to their website and find out their opening hours.
Don't waste your time or money!
- Read Next
- How to survive a typical British winter London named education capital of the world Start your year right with these healthy cooking alternatives Year of the Pig: Celebrate in style! Everything you need to know about your VISA! Student Blogger: University Survival Guide An Honest University Chat Essential winter warmer recipes Grab a gym partner and off you go!
- Most Employable Degrees Fast Food Everything you need to know about your VISA! Your guide to Glasgow Why I love staying FRESH...